how to use VPN - point to point - cost ?????

This forum is for general conversation and user-user networking.
Mike1962
OpenVpn Newbie

how to use VPN - point to point - cost ?????

Post by Mike1962 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:13 am

I have never used VPN.

I build electrical control panels (about 30 years now). I was asked to build one with remote access via a cellular link. He wants to be able to access the site to turn on and off pumps plus have it e-mail him with daily flow totals and it there is a problem.

So, I picked a PLC and a touch screen with Ethernet ports. I was not going to use a touch screen but it was suggested to me that this is the easiest way to get remote access.

I found a cellular modem / router that will work with their system (Verizon Wireless). It has three Ethernet ports.

It also says " The SmartFlex supports real time data encryption and the creation of VPN tunnels using IPsec, OpenVPN and L2TP"

The Touch Screen has a remote access function ... log into IP (I will purchase a static IP), download an application .. this app accesses the touch panel so it looks on your desktop exactly like the touch screen looks.

Now, I am told I should use a VPN connection for security.

I am completely lost. The modem says it will work with OpenVPN but what do I need to do on my end. I don't want to go through a service ... just from my desktop computer to the remote site.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Mike

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: how to use VPN - point to point - cost ?????

Post by TinCanTech » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:45 am

Mike1962 wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:13 am
It also says " The SmartFlex supports real time data encryption and the creation of VPN tunnels using IPsec, OpenVPN and L2TP"
The first thing you must do is read the router manual and learn howto setup openvpn there.

Openvpn does not support IPSec or L2TP.

Then you will need to read the OpenVPN Howto:
HOWTO: For OpenVPN Community Edition

And then have a go at setting up Openvpn.

If it is all too much then you can contact me privately: tincanteksup <at> gmail.

This may also help
HOWTO: Request Help ! {2}

Mike1962
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Mike1962 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:36 pm

I guess my question should have been more basic.

I am just quoting the job at this point.

I just wanted to make sure other then the router/modem saying it has Open VPN capabilities, it there any other hardware or software I would need to purchase if using it as just a point to point with a static IP?

It I get the job, I sure I will have a bunch of questions.

Thanks ..... Mike

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:46 pm

If your device can run openvpn then you can create a VPN with that device.

OpenVPN developers are very proud of the vast number of supported systems.