Windows 10 Client to Samba Share

This forum is for general conversation and user-user networking.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

westleya
OpenVpn Newbie

Windows 10 Client to Samba Share

Post by westleya » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:05 pm

Hi,

Server running Ubuntu 16.

Had OpenVPN 2.0 running for the longest time with no issues. One of the other guys in the office just bought a new Surface Pro with Windows 10. He could connect to the VPN but could never access any of the Samba shares (OpenVPN and Samba both running on same box). Couldn't ping either.

I tried disabling the Windows firewall with no luck.

Decided to totally erase OpenVPN and install from scratch so that we would have the latest 2.4 version.

I've now got OpenVPN 2.4 up and running. I am able to connect the VPN and ping the VPN server, but I still cannot connect to Samba shares.

I have gone into the smb.conf and made sure that it would listen on both the internal and VPN interfaces (added interfaces and hosts allow). Using tunneling mode since I don't need to see anything other than the server.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Westley

westleya
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Windows 10 Client to Samba Share

Post by westleya » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:01 pm

Got it figured out.

Redoing the config for OpenVPN, I had inadvertently changed firewall settings with UFW, so it was blocking Samba connections. Once I allowed Samba thru ufw, all is working again.