Can't Access Hostnames Remotely via Openvpn Server Set up on Router

This forum is for general conversation and user-user networking.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

pimogo
OpenVpn Newbie

Can't Access Hostnames Remotely via Openvpn Server Set up on Router

Post by pimogo » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:31 pm

Hi - Hoping someone could lend a helping hand. :)

I do not know if the problem is with my router setttings (i.e DNS, OPenVpN) or Unraid or hostnames in general, but the problem is this: I'm having difficulty setting up a working remote connection to Unraid via Openvpn. I'm running openvpn on my Asus RT68P router and have no problem connecting to my network remotely from my iphone.

Once connected to my network I can access my router's webui with the URL router.asus.com or the IP of my router 192.168.1.1. I can likewise access, via an internal IP, my raspberry pi running Volumio 192.168.1.100 , but not by hostname volumio.local).

I can't access Unraid at all. I have tried both the IP 192.168.1.102 and the hostname unraid.local. I have noticed that when i type the IP it automatically resolves to the hostname (unraid.local) anyway. So this could just be an issue w/ hostnames strictly, i dunno

Any thoughts?

OK. More information. I managed to log into the Unraid Webui by going to the following url: https://192.168.1.102:443. So that works, but not either 192.168.1.102 or servername.local.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Can't Access Hostnames Remotely via Openvpn Server Set up on Router

Post by TinCanTech » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:57 pm

Hi,

this is the correct place for your question.

We do not support either your router or DNS because we do not have that information.

If somebody from the community does have a similar setup they may be able to help you ..

As a general tip, the more information you add to your thread the more likely somebody
will be able to help, as the thread stands now I certainly don't know what you can do.