OpenVPN showing wrong IP

This forum is for general conversation and user-user networking.
danielcardosopt
OpenVpn Newbie

OpenVPN showing wrong IP

Post by danielcardosopt » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:47 am

Hi Guys,

I have acquired a OVH VPS and installed Kubuntu on it for some ocasional use. And I installed OpenVPN on it.

The VPS is hosted in France, but I added a Portuguese Failover IP to it so my VPN would act has if it was Portuguese.

In Kubuntu via X2GO I open Firefox and check my IP and gives me my Failover IP (eth0:0) like I would like it to do. But if I connect a device to the VPN and look for my IP I get the French IP instead.

I checked and everything on admin panel points to the Failover IP but still I seem to get the French one.

Thanks for your help.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: OpenVPN showing wrong IP

Post by TinCanTech » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:57 am

Michael-VPN
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: OpenVPN showing wrong IP

Post by Michael-VPN » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:39 pm

How are you determining your IP location? If you are using Google or a service to look up your IP, these are always in flux and never 100% accurate.

IP addresses move around the world all the time. If your host just acquired those IPs, its likely they are still showing old ownership data in the ARIN database. Bare in mind there are many private versions of this database that services use to offer geo-location services. I would say most of the free IP services work with 85-90% accuracy... paid versions are higher.