Moving files between server's folders is extremely slow through the VPN

This forum is for general conversation and user-user networking.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

mbrunelli87
OpenVpn Newbie

Moving files between server's folders is extremely slow through the VPN

Post by mbrunelli87 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:23 am

Hi guys,
I successfully set-up a VPN tunnel from my laptop to my home network through OpenVPN (I used my netgear nighthawk R7500) and now I'm able to have access to my home network and my freeNAS server.
Everything works just fine, except for the fact that moving files from a folder to another requires an unreasonable amount of time (so much that I was not able to move a 700mb file in several hours). I wonder if there is something I can do to solve the issue (Just to clarify: I don't have any issues moving files when I'm directly connected to my home network, house connection and external connections are both super-fast).
The strange thing is that if I download a file from the server on my laptop (when I'm connected via VPN) and then upload it back again, the transfer is faster (downloaded and uploaded the 700mb file in 15 minutes)
I had a look around and it seems like it could be an issue related to encryption or router config..but I really don't know what to do as I'm not a VPN expert