Transport network must be at least a /24

This forum is for general conversation and user-user networking.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

raulperez
OpenVpn Newbie

Transport network must be at least a /24

Post by raulperez » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:33 pm

Hello, First time I am using OpenVPN and this forum. This means I am not sure if this is the right place to post or not.

I got some problems with the setup of the OpenVPN on the LTE router I have, but first I would like to explain my set up and then the problem.

Configuration:
I am trying to setup a 4G communication between a server and several linux machines.
Each Linux machine will be in a remote place and will have its own wifi router and its own 4G router.
The 4G router is a M!dge router and it is now used as a server for DHCP and since it supports OpenVPN connection it is being used as the server to create a VPN tunel.
The Wifi router is in charge of leasing the IPs from the 4G router.

Right now there are 2 machines that will have the same setup, but I am trying to think how it would be if there are 100 or more.
Therefore the sub nets on each group of machines have been divided to have less addresses per net (A subnet with a mask of 255.255.255.248 or /29). This way I can have the same setup for many linux machines.

A specific example of a group with the machine, the wifi and the LTE router would be like this:
linux machine - IP address: 192.168.1.6/29
Wifi router - IP address: 192.168.1.5/29
LTE router- IP address: 192.168.1.4/29
Leased IPs: 192.168.1.[1-3]/29

The problem:
The M!dge router being the client I have set it up to be type TAP and bridged
and its client management asks me to have a transport network.
The transport network I imagine it to be the same sub net as the group where the linux machine is. But when I setup the transport network to be 192.168.1.0/29 I get the following error:
OpenVpnClients: Transport network must be at least a /24
I have tried to look for the error but with little success...
Anyone that could point me in the right direction?
Tell me where to look, or any suggestions on how to fix this?

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Transport network must be at least a /24

Post by TinCanTech » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:57 pm

According to the OpenVPN source code .. that error is not from OpenVPN.