RDP connection fails over LAN and works over WiFi (Win10)

This forum is for general conversation and user-user networking.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

check0104
OpenVpn Newbie

RDP connection fails over LAN and works over WiFi (Win10)

Post by check0104 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:02 am

Hello there,

maybe some of you guys can help me troubleshoot some OpenVPN issue I cannot get my head around:
I am using Windows 10 with the OpenVPN client OpenVPN 2.4.4-I1601 to connect to a remote network (all systems are up to date).

However, since I am experiencing WiFi reception issues at my (local) workplace location, I am experimenting both with Wifi and powerline.
Connecting to the remote network works just fine using both connections: I can ping any remote computer and I can access remote websites within the network without problems.
However, for some reason this does not seem to be the case for RDP: If I am connected to the internet via WiFi, RDP works without problems, if I am connected via Ethernet, I cannot get a RDP connection although pinging the remote computer works.

Things I have already tried:
  • I have tried various configurations where I have enabled/disabled the ethernet/wifi adapters (except for the TAP adapter, which was always enabled).
  • I have disabled the Windows firewall.
  • I have reinstalled the OpenVPN client.
  • I have rebooted multiple times.
Does anyone have an idea, what could be the reason for this strange behavior? I would really appreciate some hints!

Best regards

Constantin

check0104
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: RDP connection fails over LAN and works over WiFi (Win10)

Post by check0104 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:22 am

OK, the problem was in the hostname resolution: I had tried to connect to the network via
hostname.(AD domain name)
For some reason this approach worked fine over Wifi, but failed over ethernet.
Connecting to hostname without AD or to just the IP works solved the problem.

Does anyone know what might have been the problem?