It is impossible for me to install a TAP adapter so all my VPNs do not work.

This forum is for general conversation and user-user networking.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Navarog
OpenVpn Newbie

It is impossible for me to install a TAP adapter so all my VPNs do not work.

Post by Navarog » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:46 pm

So for the past month or so I've been using the openvpn client with no problems, then a week ago i installed VyprVPN (i already also had NordVPN and ExpressVPN installed before if that helps) and VyprVPN worked fine. But after i got VyprVPN everytime i tried to use the OpenVPN client it says no tap adapters can be used or that there are none available. I managed to fix this by running the "reinstall VyprTAP" function that comes with VyprVPN. Later i restarted my computer and the problem started again. This time i tried uninstalling every vpn i had and adding a TAP adapter with the built in tool in windows. this always results in a fail that says this: https://gyazo.com/4b64979179d642007abf009d9297bf04 . I tried using the built in windows tool to remove all tap adapters and then tried using the TAP installer again but still a fail. When i tried reinstalling all my VPNs this time it wasnt just openVPN that didnt work, all of them (nordvpn and VyprVPN, since i dont really use expressVPN and kept it uninstalled) didnt work because of not being able to use TAP. Is there any way to fix this cause i really need to be able to use VPN.

Thanks in advance for any help.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: It is impossible for me to install a TAP adapter so all my VPNs do not work.

Post by TinCanTech » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:15 pm

For Microsh^Hoft Windblows
  • You must explicitly specify "Run as Administrator".

Being logged in as admin is not sufficient.
A better solution is to switch to Linux and enjoy.

Navarog
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: It is impossible for me to install a TAP adapter so all my VPNs do not work.

Post by Navarog » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:42 pm

TinCanTech wrote:For Microsh^Hoft Windblows
  • You must explicitly specify "Run as Administrator".

Being logged in as admin is not sufficient.
A better solution is to switch to Linux and enjoy.

i do run it as administrator i run the tap creator as administrator and i run openvpn as administrator

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:26 pm

Maybe you have a crazy anti-virus program interfering ..

This may help
https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/w ... TAPDrivers

Unfortunately, there is no easy fix.

Navarog
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Navarog » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:47 pm

TinCanTech wrote:Maybe you have a crazy anti-virus program interfering ..

This may help
https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/w ... TAPDrivers

Unfortunately, there is no easy fix.
i just completely uninstalled my antivirus to try and fix this. it still doesnt work. i guess im screwed then since that article you linked looks way too complicated for me

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:11 pm

Try running openvpn complete install & uninstall ..