Understanding OpenVPN

This forum is for general conversation and user-user networking.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

flowersrj
OpenVpn Newbie

Understanding OpenVPN

Post by flowersrj » Wed May 15, 2013 2:52 am

Hi,

Newbie here. Installed OV server on RaspberryPI (192.168.1.11) on my home network and the OV portable apps client on a USB drive accessed from work PC.

What I don't understand is--do I need to install anything on the PC that I wish to connect to which is 192.168.1.10?

Thanks, Rich

mwandelaar
OpenVPN Super User

Re: Understanding OpenVPN

Post by mwandelaar » Wed May 15, 2013 6:19 am

Besides openvpn you need something like certificates or static keys and ofcourse some configfiles for that.

Have you read through the howto documents and allready tried to make a setup work?
If so, post your setup and logfiles here and we can have a look.

flowersrj
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by flowersrj » Wed May 15, 2013 2:13 pm

Yes. I hve defined all that. I just need to know if I need any kind of installation on the PC that I want to connect to or does OpenVPN just get me to the network where the OpenVPN server is running on?

Thanks, Rich

mwandelaar
OpenVPN Super User

Post by mwandelaar » Thu May 16, 2013 8:15 am

OpenVPN is just the software which allows you to connect to the server, or being the server itself.
As it is the software, you need to configure the software to be one of the two, i.e. being a server of a client.

This is where the configfiles come from and that's what i asked you for:
Do you have any configfiles created for either the client or the server allready?

flowersrj
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by flowersrj » Thu May 16, 2013 12:27 pm

Just OpenVpn.conf

flowersrj
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by flowersrj » Thu May 16, 2013 8:21 pm

Hi,

I am now guessing that I need to install an OpenVPN client on any PC I wish to connect to so that it is part of the OPENVPN network. Otherwise, how would it know what 10.8.0.* IP address to assign to it so I could Remote Desktop to it.

Rich

mwandelaar
OpenVPN Super User

Post by mwandelaar » Sat May 18, 2013 8:52 am

mwandelaar wrote: Have you read through the howto documents and allready tried to make a setup work?
If so, post your setup and logfiles here and we can have a look.
As written in the part creating client and server configfiles, you need to create configfiles for both, as the configfile defines the role: client or server.

flowersrj
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by flowersrj » Sat May 18, 2013 5:15 pm

I have a TUN setup working. Then I tried a TAP setup without success. So, it is back to TUN.