Easy? What to use after succesful install win->linux.

This forum is for general conversation and user-user networking.
OnTrack-1
OpenVpn Newbie

Probably very easy--set up successful...next step?

Post by OnTrack-1 » Mon May 28, 2012 3:58 pm

I have successfully set up openvpn windows client->linux vps. :D I can ping it & I am using openvpn gui & have the green in my system tray. I am at a wall though. I have used ssh with puTTY/kiTTY before where I am on the terminal. What do I use in my windows client to access all my files &etc that are on the linux server via my openvpn connection? All my searches end with the tutorials on setting up the connection & they all end with "when you can ping...you have SUCCESSFULLY SET UP OPENVPN CONGRATULATIONS!!!"
Thanks to anyone who can enlighten me/give me a link on this.

OnTrack-1
OpenVpn Newbie

removed--duplicate of prior post

Post by OnTrack-1 » Mon May 28, 2012 4:15 pm

removed--duplicate
Last edited by OnTrack-1 on Tue May 29, 2012 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

janjust
Forum Team

Re: Probably very easy--set up successful...next step?

Post by janjust » Tue May 29, 2012 9:35 am

if your VPN is working then openvpn's business is done ;)

as for connecting a Windows PC to a Linux PC: to view files on your linux box you should set up samba, to run applications remotely you could use either an X server on your Windows PC (and use PuTTY/KiTTY) or you can use vncviewer. In order to use a printer hooked up to your linux pc, use cups.

Again, none of this depends on OpenVPN , as you could set all of this up without using any VPN connection.

Mimiko
Forum Team

Re: Easy? What to use after succesful install win->linux.

Post by Mimiko » Tue May 29, 2012 11:18 am

OnTrack-1 wrote:What do I use to take the place of the terminal I get in puTTY to use in my windows client to access my linux server?
You can use PuTTY as before. Other programs you can use the same as without VPN.

OnTrack-1
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Easy? What to use after succesful install win->linux.

Post by OnTrack-1 » Tue May 29, 2012 6:29 pm

Thanks for replies. The extended working answer to use PuTTY is to use the server vpn address in the PuTTY configuration setup: ie. for this installation 10.8.0.1 with the appropriate port(22) and auth method.