Some programs don't work with my OpenVPN configuration

This forum is for general conversation and user-user networking.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

andy
OpenVpn Newbie

Some programs don't work with my OpenVPN configuration

Post by andy » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:26 pm

Hey everyone! I guess it's the time that I need your help.

I have a set up of a working Windows XP Open VPN Portable client + OpenVPN server on a remote Debian machine. The traffic gets forwarded, everything seems to be fine. But I can't use a specific program with that, I mean it can't connect at all. Every time I hit "refrеsh" the data list gets empty, while it's working fine with my default ISP connection when I disconnect from VPN.

I thought it was a program issue until I tried one commercial solution based on, I believe, OpenVPN.

In order to connect to a VPN, when using my OpenVPN Portable + OpenVPN server set-up, I just launch my client, right-click the tray icon, mouseover the desired configuration and hit Connect.

But the commerial thing I've installed, apart from having a way different interface, has created the VPN connection in my Windows XP connections list. I mean there's a new group appeared, called "Virtual Private Networks (VPN)" (above the PPPoE and LAN connections) and a new "Miniport WAN (L2TP)" icon in there, and with that my program does work.

I've found some configuration in the Program Files folder for that client. It looks a lot like OpenVPN client config, but with a file extension changed and being a bit modified (I mean there's a ca certificate included and I guess the config just gets parsed on every launch). That said, it looks like Windows XP client is somehow working in conjunction with a bit modified OpenVPN client.

I'm wondering how do I configure my server to work like that (my current configuration). I've tried the following:

My firewall logs that the System (an XP process) is trying to connect to my VPN server on port 1734 so I binded my OpenVPN server to that port and restarted it. The Windows XP client gave me an 800 error. The server log is: http://pastebin.com/G4XD2xDY

After that I've noticed that the working (i.e. commercial provider's) icon was a "Miniport WAN (L2TP)", so I changed my newly created connection from Automatic to that one, and I've also edited it's Security tab's settings (opened properties - advanced mode and repeated the settings): encrypting unnecessary; allow the following protocols: PAP, CHAP, MS-CHAP, MS-CHAP v2 (everything else - unticked). After that it started trying to connect to 1701 port, so I've rebound the OpenVPN server to that port, but the client keeps throwing the 678 error and OpenVPN server doesn't log anything.

I've found this question, but well, it does work. Not trough pure Windows XP client, and with local OpenVPN's client help, but anyway.

The goal for me would be making the program to be able to connect to the Internet when I'm using VPN. I'd appreciate your advices on how do I configure the described set-up or how do I edit my existing one (in some different way I don't know about yet) for making it work. Thank you in advance!
Last edited by andy on Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andy
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Using default Windows XP VPN client with Debian server

Post by andy » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:12 pm

anyone?

Mimiko
Forum Team

Post by Mimiko » Fri May 18, 2012 5:34 am

The traffic gets forwarded, everything seems to be fine. But I can't use a specific program with that
So its only a program that does not work. If everything is working except that one program, try contacting programm's coders.

andy
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by andy » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:37 pm

Thanks for your reply. I'm afraid that's impossible since it's an old game by EA I'm talking about...