VPN killswitch

This forum is for general conversation and user-user networking.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

imfiringmylaser12
OpenVpn Newbie

VPN killswitch

Post by imfiringmylaser12 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:06 am

I have a windows machine and a openvpn server (vpn). I need to make a static route to force all traffic only through the VPN so if the VPN drops, my IP is not leaked.

Ive done this before but using a third party VPN and softether on the windows machine to connect. I would remove the default 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 192.168.0.1 route, and create a persistent route to the VPN. When I connect to the VPN, it auto-updates my routing table so my default route goes through the VPN tunnel, and when I turn off the VPN, all traffic ends.

Unforutnley I cant replicate this for OpenVPN, even after creating a default route to the OpenVPN IP, as well as the tunnel IP it assigns me, it still wont connect. I am unable to establish a connection unless the default 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 192.168.0.1 route is active (which I could remove afterwards, but this is a hassle and a leak if I forget)

So why cant static default routes be made to the OpenVPN server, despite working with other VPN providers?