Community Support Forum

OpenVPN.net  •  Forum Index  •  FAQ  

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:10 am

OpenVPN client 
 Post subject: OpenVPN client
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:56 pm 
OpenVPN User

hi all, I just downloaded the OpenVPN client (http://openvpn.net/index.php/openvpn-cl ... loads.html) by mistake thinking that we had an official release of the openvpn gui. I installed it, imported my ovpn and put in the servername, hit connect and got prompted for a password (surprised ?), inserted the prompted username/password and got a timeout error.

Does the openvpn client support openvpn ? if not then maybe the software should be renamed somewhere, as I'm confused....(my implementation is fairly standard so it should work).

Maybe call it OpenVPN-AS Client ?

Simon

Post subject: Re: OpenVPN client
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:33 pm 
OpenVpn Newbie

I was confused at the concept of an Openvpn client program, so I clicked the link you provided and was told that it was for the Access Server and was not fully compatible with the Community version.

Are you looking to run the free Openven, or are you trying to get a client for the professional grade Access Server ?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:55 pm 
OpenVpn Newbie

Quote:
Does the openvpn client support openvpn ? if not then maybe the software should be renamed somewhere, as I'm confused....(my implementation is fairly standard so it should work).

Maybe call it OpenVPN-AS Client ?

No it does not support the free Openvpn. It is for the Access Server only.
Perhaps OpenVPN-AS would be a more definitive name, but the way Openvpn works is to install the same program on all machines, whether server or client, and distinguish them only with the .conf or .ovpn file you use.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:07 pm 
Forum Team

You were looking for the community version like Oral said.
That can be found here: http://www.openvpn.net/download
Hopefully something gets changed on the website soon... this has been confusing a lot of people.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:24 pm 
OpenVPN User

thanks for all the updates. My point is purely that there seems to be no easy distinguishing way of knowing if the client is for openvpn or openvpn-AS. Escpecially as it imported my openvpn ovpn perfectly happily, it just didn't work.

I was miffed.

Now I need to uninstall this app further sullying my app laden windows 7 machine :-).

Lesson learnt. I just didn't know if it was my configuration that had confounded it. If someone can post a direct link or quote from the website that states that it is only to be used for openvpn-AS then I'd be grateful as I currently can't find anywhere that it says that.

cheers
Simon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:33 pm 
Forum Team

I've pointed the people that can change things to this thread. Hopefully something will get changed.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:52 pm 
OpenVPN Technologies

We are working on a way to better distinguish the difference between the OpenVPN Client for AS and the OpenVPN Community Client.

As of now we have added a messagebox that alerts users that the client is not fully compatible with the community edition when they click the link to download that client.

We are working on making the AS version fully compatible with the Community Edition.

Our apologies for any confusion this may have cause.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:21 am 
OpenVPN User

Andrew,
Thank you for this. It's good to know that this forum is changing things for the better :-).
consider your good deed for the day done :roll:

Simon

Andrew wrote:
We are working on a way to better distinguish the difference between the OpenVPN Client for AS and the OpenVPN Community Client.

As of now we have added a messagebox that alerts users that the client is not fully compatible with the community edition when they click the link to download that client.

We are working on making the AS version fully compatible with the Community Edition.

Our apologies for any confusion this may have cause.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:12 pm 
OpenVpn Newbie

Are you still having this same problem?

not work well cheap air flights shy away from best way to burn fat the black ink
the seas are find cheap flights my dog ran cheap flights locate the pigeons flew
the big shark cheap flight kidnap the circus was best foods for weight loss ran up to
worked the hound quick and easy weight loss tips ate the how to lose weight fast for free lost the golf balls how to lose weight fast naturally took all the frogs dirt cheap airline tickets the king was
the serpent cheap airline tickets won the the children go air travel discount rode increased
the long flight search the tv show las vegas cheap flights the cat roamed the streets
until the cheapest flights tossed the dog cheapest airline tickets available woke to see
the old show the cheapest airline tickets police stopped cheap air travel tickets the soldier was
in for a shock cheapest airfare for pakistan fell down on super cheap flight tickets the room was
plain to see cheap flight to london cancelled the trip how do i lose weight fast the discovered
came in the how to burn stomach fat the pages lost how to lose belly weight fast the little the channel the fastest way to lose weight howl at t