Community Support Forum

OpenVPN.net  •  Forum Index  •  FAQ  

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:57 pm

OpenVPN client on router and accessing LAN? 
 Post subject: OpenVPN client on router and accessing LAN?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:50 pm 
OpenVpn Newbie

Background on my setup:
The Internet comes into my network via a modem (dumb/bridge mode) which feeds into my primary router (firewall, dhcp for my LAN, etc.—this router is NOT running OpenVPN). The primary router feeds the LAN my internet connection. Elsewhere on my LAN I have a OpenVPN clinet running on a secondary router (an Ethernet cable runs from a LAN port on my primary router to the WAN port on my VPN router). OpenVPN is set up and connected to my VPN provider on the VPN router.

Connected to/behind he VPN router is an Apple TV (and a laptop for testing). The goal is to get Hulu Plus running on the Apple TV (as I'm in Canada). So, this is working (i.e., the Apple TV is utilizing the OpenVPN connection and "appears" as though it's in the US), but the problem I'm having now is, and device connected to the VPN router is now isolated from the rest of my LAN (that isn't behind the VPN router). This is an issue because the computer running iTunes, which streams local content to the Ape TV, isn't behind the VPN router, thus the Apple TV can't see it.

Is there a way to get devices connected to the VPN router to see devices NOT connected to the VPN router?

Any advice would be appreciated.