OpenVPN server with multiple NIC

This forum is for admins who are looking to build or expand their OpenVPN setup.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
hack3rcon
OpenVpn Newbie

OpenVPN server with multiple NIC

Post by hack3rcon » Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:51 am

Hello,
I have an OpenVPN server with one NIC and clients connect to it. I want to add another NIC to it, and I have some questions:

Scenario 1:
I want to set up another OpenVPN server with this new NIC and other clients connect to this new NIC with the new IP address. How can I do it?

Scenario 2:
I want when the NIC1 disconnected, then clients connect to the NIC2 automatically.

I'm thankful if sharing your comments.

Thank you.

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: OpenVPN server with multiple NIC

Post by openvpn_inc » Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:17 pm

Hi Hack,

It sounds like you are talking about multiple uplinks, which requires routing rules and multiple route tables. This is doable in Linux but very non-trivial. For Linux, see the LARTC howto. For other OS, I am sure it can be done, but I do not know how.

Regards, rob0
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support