Fail to run init on Debian 12

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: Fail to run init on Debian 12

Post by openvpn_inc » Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:27 am

Hello knux,

There is no release of Access Server for Debian 12. So, no, there is no officially supported solution yet. I am also not aware of an unofficial solution. When an Access Server is released that supports Debian 12 you can install and use Access Server on Debian 12. Unlike most operating system updates, the Debian 12 release requires some changes that will take some time to implement.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

fileinsert
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by fileinsert » Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:23 pm

As Debian 12 has been out for some time, is there any indication of when a release of OpenVPN Access server will be available for Debian 12?

I have been looking for some indication of when this will be released, but so far I have not found any update, either official or otherwise. My production server is down until this is released as I can no longer support Debian 11 in my environment. I opened a support ticket some time ago but they were unable to give an indication of when it would be released.

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by openvpn_inc » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:06 pm

Hello fileinsert,

I am very sorry to hear that you are stuck because you upgraded to Debian 12 and Access Server is not supported there yet. Since the primary problem is that you are apparently stuck now, I would recommend that you set up a new server on a supported operating system and then install Access Server on there, so that you can be up and running again. Your configuration can be saved and copied over to the new environment, we have guides available online to backup and restore data with Access Server.

Regarding the release itself, it is hard to give precise estimates. At the moment it is expected to be released in November, but I can give you no guarantees on that.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

t0r
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by t0r » Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:38 pm

4 months and no updates.
Same problem with the Python module:

zipimport.ZipImportError: module load failed: bad magic number in 'pyovpn': b'a\r\r\n'

Opened a ticket 4 months ago, no indications.

Stuck with a production server.

fileinsert
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by fileinsert » Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:10 pm

Hi Johan,

Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately we are now a fully Debian 12 house and as such reverting to Debian 11 is not an option.

At this stage all I would like is an indication of when, or if, Debian 12 support will be official. There will be an indication internally if it is currently planned, or in design, development, testing, or close to release. I'm not looking for a specific timeline or date, but just how far along the development lifecycle it is, or if it is even on the roadmap.

If it is not planned then I can start investigating a different solution or potentially supporting Ubuntu in my environment. But to support and integrate a new OS in to an existing ecosystem is a much bigger task that I would not want to undertake for the sake of a single software component, especially if that support will be production ready soon for Deb12.

I imagine I'm not alone and many people would benefit from this information being made public.

If it is currently planned to be released around the November timeframe, as you hinted at in your previous post, then that is good enough to pause any further OS integration and simply wait for another month or so. I will patiently await the next release.

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by openvpn_inc » Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:13 pm

Hello fileinsert,

As said earlier, it is expected to be released in November.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.

fileinsert
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by fileinsert » Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:13 am

Would it be possible to get an update on the expected release for support of Debian 12?

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by openvpn_inc » Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:38 pm

Hello fileinsert,

I am sorry we weren't able to release in November as we had a final bug fix to put in. But it's in pre-production environment now and expected to be released next week.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.

fileinsert
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by fileinsert » Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:40 pm

No worries, glad to have the bugfix included. Good news and fingers crossed for next week.

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by openvpn_inc » Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:37 pm

Hello,

The OpenVPN Access Server 2.13.0 was released with support for Debian 12.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.

fileinsert
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by fileinsert » Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:52 pm

Thanks Johan,

I can confirm that it successfully installed and is now running.

Now... to testing!

Thanks again for the update.