UDPBroadcastForwarder

How to customize and extend your OpenVPN installation.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

jgoetze
OpenVpn Newbie

UDPBroadcastForwarder

Post by jgoetze » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:56 am

Hello,

i had some problems setting up a OpenVPN network for LAN-Gaming. I´m using a Debian rootserver with several Windows Clients.

Problem was that UDP Broadcast were not sent to the OpenVPN Network. Windows kept on sending them only over the interface that is primary and got the gateway and stuff.

Therefor i wrote a little tool that reads the traffic going on and i needed it clons UDP broadcasts to all other networks the pc is connectet to.

With that there is no problem anymore finden LAN-Games. I just released a stable version of that tool, so other people, having that problem might get helped.

I wrote that cause i´m not willing to use this free vpn stuff cause you never know what they get out of your traffic.

The tool is in german, i don´t got the international thing going yet. But since it should do everything by itself there is no need to learn german. :)

You can download that last release at http://www.hanksoft.de/service/46-udpbroadcastforwarder.

Its all free for your private pleasure.

I wish you guys a nice day and please excuse if there are some english mistakes and stuff.
Greets, hannes
Get the UDPBroadcastForwarder at http://www.hanksoft.de

ArthurX
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: UDPBroadcastForwarder

Post by ArthurX » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:13 am

Woooow!
I do not know it will help to me or not, but I want to try your "udpbroadcastforwarder".
At last, I think my problem with broadcast:
"Games don`t see localnet servers" - topic7947.html

Thanks.

kuchiku
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by kuchiku » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:18 am

It would also be nice if you can release the source. maybe we can integrate it directly into our custom openvpn :)

Kasyx
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Kasyx » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:30 am

Windows has a habit of only broadcasting on one interface. I had this problem and the solution was to manually set the interface metric to lower than all the other interfaces. It's a bit of a headache for your clients, I'll agree, but as far as I'm concerned it's a bug with windows.

Hope that helps.