"Challenge" in error log

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
reluctantynumb
OpenVpn Newbie

"Challenge" in error log

Post by reluctantynumb » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:11 am

Running the latest OpenVPN AS after apt-get upgrade/update with Google Auth and a local DB.
I'm running a nonstandard ports pointed to 443/943/1194 through port translation and double NAT.

I'm getting a "Challenge" error in error log after I grab the client, enter user/pass, and google auth.
I haven't found much using the ol' google fu on this.
Can anybody help out?

novaflash
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: "Challenge" in error log

Post by novaflash » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:15 am

Maybe post the relevant log bit?
I'm still alive, just posting under the openvpn_inc alias now as part of a larger group.

reluctantynumb
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by reluctantynumb » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:29 pm

Is there a way to post a more verbose log?

Quite literally, all the error shows is "Challenge" on the error column of the web gui.

novaflash
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by novaflash » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:34 pm

Aha. Yes, and, most likely, you'll get more relevant results from the client side. Not in all cases, but usually so. See this page;
https://docs.openvpn.net/troubleshootin ... nectivity/
I'm still alive, just posting under the openvpn_inc alias now as part of a larger group.

reluctantynumb
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by reluctantynumb » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:46 pm

Thanks novaflash!

I looked in the client error log and it appeared that the port translation was not playing well with the client, specifically the ports it was expecting to connect to.

I changed the expected ports to maintain the same all the way through double nat and, success.

Now to integrate a SSL cert to replace the self signed.

novaflash
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by novaflash » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:00 pm

Aha. Yes. It does not do port translation. Well, it can, but then you have to manually adjust stuff in the client profile as the one generated will have the wrong ports.