Can I use OpenVPN to access Australian TV

This forum is for general conversation and user-user networking.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

tekwrite
OpenVpn Newbie

Can I use OpenVPN to access Australian TV

Post by tekwrite » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:50 pm

Can I use OpenVPN to access Australian TV? To look like I am in Australia?

ADFHAU
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Can I use OpenVPN to access Australian TV

Post by ADFHAU » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:24 am

If you know someone who's running an OpenVPN server in Australia, sure.

OpenVPN is a VPN protocol and associated software suite. You need a client on your computer, and you need a server in a country somewhere (in your case Australia) to connect to. The tunnel/VPN established by the OpenVPN software between your client and the remote server allows traffic between your computer and the rest of the world to be routed via that server.

The commercial side of OpenVPN, "PrivateTunnel" is a service that uses the OpenVPN tech to provide VPN gateways around the world. As for whether or not they have any Australian gateways, I couldn't say as they don't have an obvious listing of their available endpoints on their website. There are other businesses that do similar things. YMMV, batteries not included, you get what you pay for etc.. Free solutions often have dubious privacy issues attached to them.

tl;dr Yes, if you can find an Australian VPN server (or a VPN service with an Australian endpoint), and that VPN server hasn't been blacklisted by the Australian media providers.

tekwrite
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Can I use OpenVPN to access Australian TV

Post by tekwrite » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:15 am

Thank you for the detailed reply!