[Solved] IP Routing Issue?

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
koovu
OpenVpn Newbie

[Solved] IP Routing Issue?

Post by koovu » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:25 pm

Hi all,

I've currently got my OpenVPN Server running on my Synology DS213 (DSM v6.0.2). My home network uses the IP range 192.168.1.1/24, and the OpenVPN server uses the IP range 10.8.0.1/24.

When I connect remotely to the OpenVPN server from my phone (Google Pixel, Android 7.1.1) I can successfully access web-based content from the Synology NAS (SABnzbd) using either the 10.8.0.0 range, or the 192.168.1.100 address - both work fine. However, I can't access SMB shares from the NAS using either address.

Another big problem, which is my biggest issue - I can't wake up devices on the network remotely using WOL (the devices sit on the 192.168 range, but pass-through is enabled on the OpenVPN server). Previously when I owned an iPhone, I could do this fine without any problems.

What I have noticed, which might help narrow the fault down:

If my Android phone is connected to WiFi, I can WOL a PC > shut the PC down > disable WiFi on the phone > connect to the VPN over the celluar network > WOL the same PC, and it boots. It seems when I leave it for a certain period of time (6 hours maybe?) I can no longer WOL a device. It might be removing the routing tables? But not sure.

Any help or suggestions? To be honest, I'm not even sure where the fault would lay - It might be with the Android OS itself, rather than the OpenVPN app. Unless there's a way for the OpenVPN app to force certain routing into the tables, without the phone being rooted?

Cheers all.

koovu
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: IP Routing Issue?

Post by koovu » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:48 pm

Forgot to mention, the issue I have with not being able to connect to SMB to any device above. If I perform the same above steps (Access SMB over WiFi, disconnect, connect to VPN on the cellular network) SMB continues to work absolutely fine.

So definitely sounds like a routing issue.

koovu
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by koovu » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:13 pm

Solved: The box hosting the OpenVPN server required the machine adding to the arp table with a static address.

Pippin
Forum Team

Post by Pippin » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:25 pm

I`m far from genuis ;)
My answer was here:
https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopi ... 5&t=129869