Advanced Routing in AWS

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
XenoPhage
OpenVpn Newbie

Advanced Routing in AWS

Post by XenoPhage » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:40 pm

Greetings,

I'm trying to set up an OpenVPN AS server in AWS that uses advanced routing versus NAT. NAT works well enough, but I'd like to be able to use IP ranges in security groups as well as have the IPs show up in various logs on other servers for easier tracking.

I'm able to set up the server to assign an IP easily enough, but it would appear that routing outside of the openVPN server is an issue. I've tried using IPs assigned within the VPC, but when adding routes to the AWS routing tables, I get an error that I can't add more specfic routes. If I use an IP range not within the VPC, AWS doesn't seem to transit the traffic.

Does this work in AWS? Or am I stuck with NAT?

Thanks,

Jason

novaflash
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: Advanced Routing in AWS

Post by novaflash » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:50 am

Routing is possible, and the problem is entirely within the configuration of the AWS security settings and routing tables. Kindly make sure reciprocating routes are present and that source checking is disabled, or else AWS will just filter the traffic from the VPN clients away.
I'm still alive, just posting under the openvpn_inc alias now as part of a larger group.