Have Openvpn client to ignore its local lan?

Samples of working configurations.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Hansr
OpenVpn Newbie

Have Openvpn client to ignore its local lan?

Post by Hansr » Fri May 15, 2015 12:32 pm

Hi. I am using Openvpn-server on Raspbian at home and Openvpn client (the official) on Android 4.2 on i9300 smartphone.

The situation where I use Openvpn on my phone is when I am connected to any open wifi network e.g. in a Hotel or Cafe. I then tunnel all network access thru my home. In this situation it is never needed to access the local LAN.

incidentely I get IP-conflicts between local and remote LAN. I read about changing to a lesser generally used IP numbering on my own LAN, but I had rather change my Openvpn configuration to just block the local LAN where the client is and thus make sure there will never be a conflict again.

Is there anything I could configure on server or client to get this?

Traffic
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Have Openvpn client to ignore its local lan?

Post by Traffic » Sat May 16, 2015 3:56 pm

This is the default operating mode for OpenVPN ..

If you do not use a full PKI (certs & keys) and do not use any --iroute statements in a client-connect-dir file .. then any packets from the client LAN will be dropped by the server.

Use --verb 4 in your server config and you will see when packets are dropped ..

As for network conflicts you are strongly advised to change your server network ..

Traffic
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Have Openvpn client to ignore its local lan?

Post by Traffic » Mon May 18, 2015 5:02 pm

In fact, you do need a full PKI with CA, Certificate and key and --mode server and --tls-server

In point2point mode the "server" end can route "client" LAN without --iroute and vice-versa ..

Essentially .. use --server in your server config but no --iroute in your CCD file.

To avoid network conflicts you can also try:
The Manual wrote:--client-nat snat|dnat network netmask alias
  • This pushable client option sets up a stateless one-to-one NAT rule on packet addresses (not ports), and is useful in cases where routes or ifconfig settings pushed to the client would create an IP numbering conflict.
See --client-nat in The Manual v23x