Some connectivity working but others not

Need help configuring your VPN? Just post here and you'll get that help.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
NFH
OpenVpn Newbie

Some connectivity working but others not

Post by NFH » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:57 pm

I seem to have connectivity over my OpenVPN, both via an HTTP proxy and direct, in that I can open Remote Desktop sessions and use file sharing in both directions, including to the LAN beyond the OpenVPN server. However, I cannot ping, except from the client to the server. I also can't get clients to use the server as a domain controller, even after adding necessary entries to the hosts and lmhosts files. I am using a mixture of Windows XP Pro, Vista Ultimate 32-bit and Server 2008 64-bit. Any ideas?

ecrist
Forum Team

Re: Some connectivity working but others not

Post by ecrist » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:06 pm

I'm not familiar with many of Windows' domain policies, and what's required to become a member of the domain controller, etc. I know for proper browsing of network neighborhood and such, you need to have a bridged VPN, rather than a tunnel VPN (the difference is tap or tun in the config). That being said, I don't know why your windows machine wouldn't take the IP when joining a domain.

If the VPN is allowing connectivity, you may be better helped in a windows forum.
OpenVPN Community Administrator
IRC: #openvpn, #openvpn-devel
Co-Author of Mastering OpenVPN
Author of Troubleshooting OpenVPN