Virtual adapter for wireless

Need help configuring your VPN? Just post here and you'll get that help.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
marius2du
OpenVpn Newbie

Virtual adapter for wireless

Post by marius2du » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:41 pm

Is there a way to create a wireless adapter similar to ethernet "TAP-Win32 Adapter" which can be used with OpenVPN?

Thanks for reply

janjust
Forum Team

Re: Virtual adapter for wireless

Post by janjust » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:57 pm

nope this is not possible.
why would you want a wireless tunnel adapter? what should it do differently compared to a regular tunnel adapter? the only thing the tunnel adapter does is forward traffic which enters it to the application behind it (openvpn). The openvpn application then forwards it over the secure tunnel to the other end, where it emerges again from the tunnel adapter on that end. I don't see why a wireless adapter would change anything here.
Also note that the OpenVPN security model is not built into the tunnel adapter, it is built into OpenVPN itself. So it will not be possible to "select a VPN network" and then connect to it using WEP/WPA/WPA2/whatever , like you would do with a wireless adapter. Of course something like that could be written, but then you're building your own VPN software.

marius2du
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by marius2du » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:23 pm

Hello

I want to use my PS3 console using wireless connection with a PC which is acting as an access point and has an OpenVPN installed on it. I prefer to use wireless connection simply because PS3 is not in the same location where the PC is.

janjust
Forum Team

Post by janjust » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:27 pm

you want to set up an openvpn connection between your PS3 and a PC? which openvpn client are you using on the PS3? Is there such a thing for the PS3, except for jailbroken systems running Linux?

marius2du
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by marius2du » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:48 pm

The PC acting as AP is OpenVPN client. I just want to setup a wireless connection between PS3 and OpenVPN client.

marius2du
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by marius2du » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:52 pm

Adding information:

The reason I'm using OpenVPN client as access point, is because some services on PS3 are not available in my country and i'm using tunneling to get different IP address.

janjust
Forum Team

Post by janjust » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:20 pm

then bridge the wireless adapter on the PC with the tap-win32 adapter - this is all explained in OpenVPN HOWTO's.