What can OpenVPN do for my need?

Need help configuring your VPN? Just post here and you'll get that help.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
mahogan
OpenVpn Newbie

What can OpenVPN do for my need?

Post by mahogan » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:45 am

What exactly can OpenVPN do? Here is what I need. I have a design business and I am seeking to expand the business to another location several hundred miles away, where I (the main designer) will be moving to the new location while keeping several employees at the existing location. I would like to keep all of the design files for both locations with me, allowing my employees to save (huge files) on my server in my new office. I do not want my employees to save ANY files at their location, but I do want them to have unlimited access to open, edit and save any new or existing design files. Is this something that OpenVPN can do? If so, would this be extremely difficult to configure? I do not want to store these files on anyone elses computer or server, just my physical computer at my new location. Will just a normal high speed internet connection (like comcast cable) work for something like this, or would something else be required. Thanks.

andrew.m.higgs
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: What can OpenVPN do for my need?

Post by andrew.m.higgs » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:07 pm

I am not entirely sure you will be able to find software which will make it possible for a user to only save to a network share.

OpenVPN will ensure, if correctly configured, that the files are transmitted securely over the internet.

As far as the connection between the two sites is concerned, it will all depend on what speed / reliability you require, I guess.

Regards

Andrew Higgs