[SOLVED] Advice / Help with openVPN

Need help configuring your VPN? Just post here and you'll get that help.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
damoon
OpenVpn Newbie

[SOLVED] Advice / Help with openVPN

Post by damoon » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:35 am

Hi, I'm fairly new to openVPN so excuse the silly questions.

I'll get straight to the point. I currently have 2 machines on my LAN (Machine A & B) connected to a linksys router+builtin ADSL modem. I am intending to connect to a vpn server utilizing openvpn from Machine A as a client, however at the same time I wish to route all traffic from Machine B to passthrough Machine A's VPN.

To the matter on hand, should I have Machine A connected to a VPN server as a client while at the same time acting as a server for Machine B (if that is even possible)?

Or is there any better way to do this? Both Machines are running windows XP and Vista respectively.

gladiatr72
Forum Team

Re: Advice / Help with openVPN

Post by gladiatr72 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:26 pm

There are two options for you:

NAT the connection from B at A (I don't know if this is possible with Windows) or reconfigure the vpn server side to add a route to your network. If you point B at A and set A to forward packets, packets from B will arrive at the server, but the server will have no idea how to send packets back to machine B on your home network. Does that make sense?

-Stephen
[..]I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. [...]Wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? -Marcus Cole

damoon
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Advice / Help with openVPN

Post by damoon » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:47 pm

Yes, that makes sense to me. Thanks. I was just thinking if there was some other option for it to be done such as how a ssh tunnel could be relayed.