OpenVPN as Client; Share 1 connection among multiple devices?

Need help configuring your VPN? Just post here and you'll get that help.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
fatalhalt
OpenVpn Newbie

OpenVPN as Client; Share 1 connection among multiple devices?

Post by fatalhalt » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:08 am

Hello,

I was wondering if something like this is possible. I would like to setup an OpenVPN Client connection and share it among other devices. I have a headless server running next to me that has a free 2nd ethernet port. I was thinking of plugging a Switch to that 2nd ethernet port and setting up an OpenVPN Client daemon to bind to that 2nd ethernet port.

I would like to be able to plug devices such as xbox or ps4 and be able to have then on VPN connection straight away without any setup. Is this possible? I'm thinking that I would need to setup some sort of iptables rules and create a NAT so that outgoing traffic from both xbox and ps4 would get masqueraded into 1 IP (the IP that OpenVPN Client received from the OpenVPN Server). Some things that I'm uncertain of is things like DHCP, e.g. what would be leasing IPs once devices would get connected to a switch?

If there's an other way of doing this I would like to hear. Possibly some sort of the bridge?