OpenVPN + Google-authenticator + missing symbol

Need help configuring your VPN? Just post here and you'll get that help.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
PaulMiles01
OpenVpn Newbie

OpenVPN + Google-authenticator + missing symbol

Post by PaulMiles01 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:22 am

Dear All,

I hope someone can help point me in the right direction as I've spent ages searching on google to no avail.

I'm running Ubuntu 14.04 (64bit) on AWS with kernel 3.13.0-24-generic, and openvpn version 2.3.2.

I've tried using both the libpam-google-authenticator deb file that ships with Ubuntu and also compiling against source from gitlab. Both times I see no obvious errors until I try to use the compiled module in openvpn.

I have the following line in my openvpn.conf file :

plugin /lib/security/pam_google_authenticator.so openvpn

When I restart openvpn, I get the following error :

Mon Jul 31 21:32:44 2017 PLUGIN: could not find required symbol 'openvpn_plugin_close_v1' in plugin shared object /lib/security/pam_google_authenticator.so: /lib/security/pam_google_authenticator.so: undefined symbol: openvpn_plugin_close_v1
Mon Jul 31 21:32:44 2017 Exiting due to fatal error

I'm completely stumped and would very much welcome some advice/suggestions.

Many thanks

Paul

PaulMiles01
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: OpenVPN + Google-authenticator + missing symbol

Post by PaulMiles01 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:15 pm

From the lack of responses, does this mean that no one else has experienced this issue ?

I can reproduce it when I download the latest version of google authenticator plugin src and also the latest openvpn src and build both by hand - meaning its not a version related issue.

My best guess is that there is something odd about my server setup - but i've got no idea where to look.

PaulMiles01
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: OpenVPN + Google-authenticator + missing symbol

Post by PaulMiles01 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:22 pm

!!! SOLVED !!!

Incase anyone else experiences this, I found this link https://github.com/google/google-authen ... issues/407 which pretty much explained that I was using the wrong plugin module in openvpn.

My new openvpn.conf now has the line :

plugin /usr/lib/openvpn/plugins/openvpn-plugin-auth-pam.so openvpn

which stops the missing symbol issue.