Difficulty tunneling to Internet

Need help configuring your VPN? Just post here and you'll get that help.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
kellyexpo
OpenVpn Newbie

Difficulty tunneling to Internet

Post by kellyexpo » Sat May 20, 2017 8:36 pm

I am setting up a VPN on a remote network, and I'm running into a bit of trouble. This is my first time using OpenVPN btw. I have gotten to the point where I can connect to the server from an outside network and ping the router of the remote network (192.168.0.1), but none of my Internet traffic will go through. The remote network has been portforwarded, and EnableIPRouter is enabled (the server is a windows machine). The remote non-vpn network is a 192.168.0.0 /24 network (server is 192.168.0.100), and the vpn is 10.8.0.0 /24. Here are the configs with some private info omitted.
Client Config
client
dev tun
dev-node MyTap
proto udp
remote *omitted* 1194
cipher AES-128-CBC
resolv-retry infinite
nobind
persist-key
persist-tun

#ca ca.crt
<ca>

*omitted*
-----END CERTIFICATE-----

</ca>
#cert client1.crt
<cert>
*omitted*
-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
*omitted
-----END CERTIFICATE-----
</cert>

#key client1.key
<key>
-----BEGIN PRIVATE KEY-----
*omitted*
-----END PRIVATE KEY-----

</key>
ns-cert-type server

comp-lzo
verb 3
explicit-exit-notify 2
ping 10
ping-restart 60

register-dns
route-method exe
route-delay 2
Server config
#local 192.168.0.100
port 1194 #change to any port you see fit. The client needs to use the same port
proto udp #switch to tcp if you wish to use a tcp connection, the client needs to use the same protocol. udp gives better performance
dev tun
dev-node MyTap #name of your TAP interface.
topology subnet
server 10.8.0.0 255.255.255.0 #This may need modification as dictated by Internet Connection Settings. This is the default for ICS on Windows 7.
client-to-client
ca ca.crt
cert server.crt
key server.key
dh dh1024.pem
ifconfig-pool-persist ipp.txt
cipher AES-128-CBC
push "redirect-gateway def1" #tells all Internet traffic to go through the tunnel
push "route 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0"
push "dhcp-option DNS 208.67.222.222" #OpenDNS servers
push "dhcp-option DNS 208.67.222.220"
keepalive 10 120
comp-lzo #compression for better network performance. Disable if your server isn't powerful enough. Needs to be included in both server and client configs if you use it.
persist-key
persist-tun
status openvpn-status.log
verb 3
Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks for looking at the post!