Public access to Apache while running OpenVPN Client

Need help configuring your VPN? Just post here and you'll get that help.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
darthf1
OpenVpn Newbie

Public access to Apache while running OpenVPN Client

Post by darthf1 » Wed May 03, 2017 6:59 am

Hi all,

I'm having difficulties setting up public access to my Apache webserver, while an OpenVPN client is running on the machine. The machine is running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, and I have a paid third party VPN connection so I cannot make changes to the server configuration.

I have installed Apache to host a webserver on the machine, which is accessible through <mydomain.com>. I have routed the <mydomain.com> to my public IP adress through the DNS settings. When I am on my LAN on the same network as the webserver, I can access <mydomain.com> just fine. However outside my LAN, accessing <mydomain.com> results in a timeout. This is probably because all the outgoing packages are routed through the VPN, thus another IP.

Is there a way to resolve this, to keep the VPN connection for outgoing conections but also to give public access to the webserver?

chefboyct
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Public access to Apache while running OpenVPN Client

Post by chefboyct » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:20 am

Hi there,

I have the same issue and I am running the similar setup as you. I just dont allow IP address to access apache2 so once my VPN client is up and running on the same machine where apache and nextcloud sits, then I have no access at all (changing the Dynamic IP via FREEDNS... hence the reason). I hope you have some form of solutions on this so you can advice me Thanks.