Trouble Setting Up/Starting OpenVPN

Need help configuring your VPN? Just post here and you'll get that help.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
tpholt
OpenVpn Newbie

Trouble Setting Up/Starting OpenVPN

Post by tpholt » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:56 pm

Hello all. I am new to setting up VPN's, and so I am probably just doing something incredibly obvious incredibly wrong.

I have a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 router, and I am trying to set up its VPN service. I am following the instructions on Netgear's website, and I think I've done everything correct, up to and including installing OpenVPN and downloading the config files from the router interface and unzipping the config files to the correct folder (c:\programfiles\openvpn\config). I've renamed the network adapter as NETGEAR-VPN per the instructions on Netgear's website. I run the OpenVPN GUI application as an administrator, and the OpenVPN GUI icon appears in my system tray. i then right-click this icon, and select Connect, and I get a window pops open with a bunch of log file settings that I don't even pretend to understand, and the Current State says "Connecting", and it stays this way. After about a minute, the log file says restart pause, 5 seconds, and then everything repeats, over and over and over, and I never get connected. In the router interface, I have enabled the VPN Service option, as well as Dynamic DNS (although I'm not entirely sure this is set up properly). it should be noted that the network adapter states Network Cable unplugged with a Red X

What's going on...can anyone help?

Thanks,

Tony

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Trouble Setting Up/Starting OpenVPN

Post by TinCanTech » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:54 pm

See your openvpn server log ..