openvpn-install-2.4.2-I601.exe Broken?

This forum is for all inquiries relating to the installation of OpenVPN from source and with binaries.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please visit (and READ) the OpenVPN HowTo http://openvpn.net/howto prior to asking any questions in here!
WHAMMO!
OpenVpn Newbie

openvpn-install-2.4.2-I601.exe Broken?

Post by WHAMMO! » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:58 pm

As I don't see a 64bit build for Windows I am assuming openvpn-install-2.4.2-I601.exe is the latest stable build for both 32 and 64?

Installed this build on my 64 Win10 machine but the OpenVPN GUI didn't startup automatically, even though I left it checked during installation. Now when I try to start it up manually I get the following error:

This happens whether I use the shortcut created during installation, or by attempting to launch 'openvpn-gui.exe' directly in the install folder. Something is wonky with the supposed new feature of no longer requiring admin privileges to launch the GUI, because if I edit the shortcut by checking 'Run in Administrator Mode' the GUI will launch fine, but otherwise it will not run. Meanwhile, the GUI refuses to launch on startup, even after I manually create a regkey in the Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run folder. The regkey is not being created by the install.

What am I missing?