OpenVPN Server Set up

This forum is for all inquiries relating to the installation of OpenVPN from source and with binaries.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please visit (and READ) the OpenVPN HowTo http://openvpn.net/howto prior to asking any questions in here!
Dr-Jon
OpenVpn Newbie

OpenVPN Server Set up

Post by Dr-Jon » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:48 am

Hi,
I am a newbe to this.
I need to set up a server to allow access from 2 cleints. both clients have fixed internal ip address in the same range (192.168.8.xxx)
the server machine is also on an internal network of 192.168.8.xxx
Now do i use this range while setting up the config file or does it need to be a different network for the VPN? like 10.8.0.xxx
Next as the server is on a windows 7 machine do i need to set the TAP adaptor IP to a range or leave it set to get ip from DCHP.
My network does not use DCHP, all addresses are fixed.
Thanks

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: OpenVPN Server Set up

Post by TinCanTech » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:06 pm

Dr-Jon wrote:clients have fixed internal ip address in the same range (192.168.8.xxx)
the server machine is also on an internal network of 192.168.8.xxx
Generally, it is good practice to change one of these so that both networks are unique.
Dr-Jon wrote:does it need to be a different network for the VPN? like 10.8.0.xxx
Generally, yes ..
Dr-Jon wrote:server is on a windows 7 machine do i need to set the TAP adaptor IP to a range or leave it set to get ip from DCHP.
Openvpn assigns IP addresses by DHCP on windows.