chroot incompatability with --auth-user-pass-verify

This forum is for all inquiries relating to the installation of OpenVPN from source and with binaries.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please visit (and READ) the OpenVPN HowTo http://openvpn.net/howto prior to asking any questions in here!
cd_open_vpn
OpenVpn Newbie

chroot incompatability with --auth-user-pass-verify

Post by cd_open_vpn » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:28 pm

Hi,

I am trying to install openvpn server in chroot mode. my server is working fine (without chroot is working with client digital certificate & --auth-user-pass-verify username/password) .

when I enabled chroot .. server started listening without any trouble (with chroot succedded message in server log). But when client tries to connect AUTH_FAIL is happening and the server log says
"Failed running command (--auth-user-pass-verify) : could not execute external program"

I am currently clueless.. any help is well appreciated... thanks

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: chroot incompatability with --auth-user-pass-verify

Post by TinCanTech » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:50 pm

The Manual wrote:Chroot to dir after initialization. --chroot essentially redefines dir as being the top level directory tree (/). OpenVPN will therefore be unable to access any files outside this tree.

cd_open_vpn
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: chroot incompatability with --auth-user-pass-verify

Post by cd_open_vpn » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:38 am

TinCanTech wrote:
The Manual wrote:Chroot to dir after initialization. --chroot essentially redefines dir as being the top level directory tree (/). OpenVPN will therefore be unable to access any files outside this tree.
But, I guess there must be a way to do it.