Questions before installing

This forum is for all inquiries relating to the installation of OpenVPN from source and with binaries.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please visit (and READ) the OpenVPN HowTo http://openvpn.net/howto prior to asking any questions in here!
butcher321
OpenVpn Newbie

Questions before installing

Post by butcher321 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:22 pm

Here at my house I use an Intel I5 desktop running Windows 10 and my wife uses a Intel I3 laptop also running Windows 10. I do not have a home network set up. I also have a Pentium 4 computer in the basement which dual boots Windows XP and Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Linux. I would like to make the Pentium machine into a Ubuntu VPN server. Before I do this I have a very basic noobie question: I use a wireless router for our internet and was wondering if I set up the VPN server how does it work with the wireless router. What I mean is do the computers wirelessly connect to the router, which then connects to the server which goes back to the router to get to the internet?? This is the part I do not understand in using VPN on my home system for better security. I hope you understand what I am trying to ask.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Questions before installing

Post by TinCanTech » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:02 pm

butcher321 wrote: I use a wireless router for our internet
I presume all your computers connect to this router over wireless ..
butcher321 wrote:What I mean is do the computers wirelessly connect to the router, which then connects to the server which goes back to the router to get to the internet?? This is the part I do not understand
That sound correct to me ..

pinkie
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Questions before installing

Post by pinkie » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:15 pm

Above sounds right