No TAP-windows adapters on this system, Windows 7

This forum is for all inquiries relating to the installation of OpenVPN from source and with binaries.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please visit (and READ) the OpenVPN HowTo http://openvpn.net/howto prior to asking any questions in here!
BranGeorge
OpenVpn Newbie

No TAP-windows adapters on this system, Windows 7

Post by BranGeorge » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:13 am

Dear all,

As the title says, I have been trying unsuccessfully to run OpenVPN on a Windows 7 64-bit system with the error message in the log that there are no adapters on the system; the same also happens after I install tap-windows-9.21.2.exe additionally. In Device Manager, the adapters appear with yellow triangular signs with exclamation marks, and an error message in Properties saying:
Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source. (Code 52)
(Seemingly, it is a signature verification problem). Could anyone suggest a way to address this, or, should additional information be needed, let me know what?

Thanks.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: No TAP-windows adapters on this system, Windows 7

Post by TinCanTech » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:06 pm

When you install please make sure to use "Run as administrator" when you run the installer.

Also, does windows not offer you the choice to continue at your own risk ?

BranGeorge
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by BranGeorge » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:18 pm

Thanks for replying; I did run as administrator both installers.

And no, I don't think such a choice was offered - the system seems to simply block access to the drivers/adapters.

Edit: Also, I have added both installers to the trusted applications in my antivirus, so I don't expect the problem to be caused by that either.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:09 pm

I have not had any problem with Win7 installation of the TAP adapter.

Perhaps your anti-virus is being a little paranoid ..

Something here may help:
https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/w ... iver-fails

BranGeorge
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by BranGeorge » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:54 am

Again, as far as I am able to tell, it shouldn't be the antivirus, since I have added both installers, as well as the bat files etc to the trusted applications.

Something I am thinking about is the following - I tried to install Viscosity first; during the first install, I was asked whether I wanted to "install this device software" (as in the screenshot here: https://www.sparklabs.com/support/kb/ar ... s-windows/, under "Adapter Creation Failed or Adapters appearing as Unknown Devices"), and said no. Then, with Viscosity not connecting, I reinstalled it, once with an already existing installation, and then, this not working, first uninstalling and then installing again - however, I wasn't prompted to install the software again. Then, since it still couldn't connect, I moved to OpenVPN directly, but it still fails to connect - could the problem be a registry key that was edited the very first time I was installing, and has stayed like this since?

The link in the post immediately above mentions a RunOnce key, but it says it is for Windows 2000/XP; I have checked the registry, and such a key exists - however, it is there, not missing. Not sure how to proceed... :)