OpenVPN System Tray Icon not showing up evertime

This forum is for all inquiries relating to the installation of OpenVPN from source and with binaries.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please visit (and READ) the OpenVPN HowTo http://openvpn.net/howto prior to asking any questions in here!
mediumwhite
OpenVpn Newbie

OpenVPN System Tray Icon not showing up evertime

Post by mediumwhite » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:12 pm

I have been installing OpenVPN on a windows 10 Laptop I have been able to get it to start up on login but its about a 50/50 chance that the system tray icon loads. I click the GUI but it says its already running then when I check the process's its there too, so I End the Task and double click GUI it starts right up and everything is fine. Any Ideas? This will be super confusing for some users to do.

I have installed it on plenty on Windows 7 machines and the normal procedure works fine. We recently have been purchasing new pc/laptops with win 10 or just upgrading from 7, I find more often there are a lot of bugs with doing an upgrade, so I have several win 10 machines it works fine with but this one is acting up any input would be nice.

All the clients have admin privileges.

Pippin
Forum Team

Re: OpenVPN System Tray Icon not showing up evertime

Post by Pippin » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:18 pm

I have been able to get it to start up on login but its about a 50/50 chance
Delay the startup?

mediumwhite
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by mediumwhite » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:28 pm

Ok I'll try that but i dont want to be misunderstood It does start up every time I can see it in Task Manager BUT half the time the system tray Icon wont show up,

Thanks

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:30 pm

This is a W10 system Tray problem .. complain to Microsoft.

W10 systray hides things:
http://forums.openvpn.net/viewtopic.php?t=21757

W10 also renames downloads and many other things you don't want it to do ..