Question about suggested setup for tap in HowTo

This forum is for all inquiries relating to the installation of OpenVPN from source and with binaries.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please visit (and READ) the OpenVPN HowTo http://openvpn.net/howto prior to asking any questions in here!
FuriousGeorge
OpenVPN User

Question about suggested setup for tap in HowTo

Post by FuriousGeorge » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:08 pm

My VPN is currently working with tap like this:

Code: Select all

CentOS OVPN               GCE Gateway                                                  pfSense Client                                            LAN
(eth0 <-->  br0)  <-->   10.250.0.1         <-WAN/VPN->          WAN0 <--> (BRIDGE0 <--> LAN0)       <-->            NAT
(   10.250.0.2   )                                                                                     (        10.0.0.1           )                     10.0.0.0/24
The official howto says about exposing client subnet to server:
Including multiple machines on the client side when using a bridged VPN (dev tap)

This requires a more complex setup (maybe not more complex in practice, but more complicated to explain in detail):

You must bridge the client TAP interface with the LAN-connected NIC on the client.
You must manually set the IP/netmask of the TAP interface on the client.
You must configure client-side machines to use an IP/netmask that is inside of the bridged subnet, possibly by querying a DHCP server on the OpenVPN server side of the VPN.
The first couple are relatively straightforward, but for the third you could ///add a route on the server to the client LAN like this:

# ip route add 10.0.0.0/24 dev br0

The only problem is that I can't figure out how to put that in server.conf or client.conf to get it to happen automagically.

Here is server.conf:

Code: Select all

proto udp
dev tap0
ca /etc/openvpn/keys/ca.crt
cert /etc/openvpn/keys/server.crt
key /etc/openvpn/keys/server.key  # This file should be kept secret
dh /etc/openvpn/keys/dh2048.pem
ifconfig-pool-persist ipp.txt
server-bridge 10.250.0.2 255.255.255.0 10.250.0.100 10.250.0.254
push "route 10.250.0.0 255.255.0.0"
client-config-dir ccd
client-to-client
push "route 10.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 10.250.0.2" ;<----  i don't think this is right.  in console i set the ip and mask on the br0 iface for it to work
keepalive 10 120
comp-lzo
user nobody
group nobody
persist-key
persist-tun
status openvpn-status.log
verb 5
Thanks in advance.

Traffic
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Question about suggested setup for tap in HowTo

Post by Traffic » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:09 pm

FuriousGeorge wrote:You must configure client-side machines to use an IP/netmask that is inside of the bridged subnet, possibly by querying a DHCP server on the OpenVPN server side of the VPN.
FuriousGeorge wrote:The only problem is that I can't figure out how to put that in server.conf or client.conf to get it to happen automagically
You cannot add routes to client-side machines using openvpn config .. use a batch file ..

FuriousGeorge
OpenVPN User

Re: Question about suggested setup for tap in HowTo

Post by FuriousGeorge » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:14 pm

Thanks for the response. I'll add it in bridge-start and del it in bridge stop. I'll invoke it in the init scripts.