Tap Adapter Fails Windows 8.1 - Will PayPal for help!

This forum is for all inquiries relating to the installation of OpenVPN from source and with binaries.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please visit (and READ) the OpenVPN HowTo http://openvpn.net/howto prior to asking any questions in here!
gecko37
OpenVpn Newbie

Tap Adapter Fails Windows 8.1 - Will PayPal for help!

Post by gecko37 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:58 am

Hey guys,

I am at my wits end with this. I have spent hours trying everything I know trying to get this adapter installed. I will Paypal someone some money if they can figure it out. I am close to just re-installing windows.

/b]The problem:[/b]
I cannot install the TAP adapter either individually or with a normal install of OpenVPN. This is referring to Tap-Windows Adapter V9. I am running Windows 8.1 with nothing special in regards to networking setup. I have previously used Shrew VPN client which worked fine, but in an effort to resolve this, have uninstalled the program and removed all related network adapters in device manager (and have rebooted several times since then).

There are times where the TAP adapter will show up under Network Adapters rather than Other Devices in Device Manager (picture mentioned at end of this post). This usually happens after a reboot but will show a Code 31 (This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)). Typically, though, it just remains in "Other Devices".

Steps taken:
-Rebooted into Windows 8.1 with driver installation verification turned off
-Closed every program that was 3rd party and running
-Disabled Firewall, there is no antivirus on here
-Tried installing (with Run as Admin) just the tap adapter and several versions of Open VPN
-Removed the "Config" registry key as discussed in other threads and websites
-Changing permissions on the devcon.exe to full admin rights
-Searched manually on my PC for the driver (which shows up but always fails installing)
-Countless uninstall and re-installs (as admin) of driver via device manager
-Tried creating a .bat file of: tapinstall install OemWin2k.inf tap0901 and running as admin
-Followed steps relating to RunOnce reg key (it was already there)

Current status:
OpenVPN 2.3.8-I601 in installed, although the TAP adapter isn't. In device manager, I have one item in Unknown device. This is the Tap-Windows Adapter V9 but it shows as "The system cannot find the file specified". Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter and Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapters are showing under Network Adapters but with Code 31's.

I have attached pictures of this here: http://i.imgur.com/hX8GcrR.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!