Someone PLEASE HELP!!! OPENVPN SOFT RESETTING FAILED HANDSHA

This forum is for admins who are looking to build or expand their OpenVPN setup.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
ididit86
OpenVpn Newbie

Someone PLEASE HELP!!! OPENVPN SOFT RESETTING FAILED HANDSHA

Post by ididit86 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:29 am

Thu Dec 09 18:25:30 2010 ROUTE: CreateIpForwardEntry succeeded with dwForwardMetric1=30 and dwForwardType=4
Thu Dec 09 18:25:30 2010 Route addition via IPAPI succeeded [adaptive]
Thu Dec 09 18:25:30 2010 Initialization Sequence Completed
Thu Dec 09 19:25:24 2010 TLS: soft reset sec=0 bytes=163742443/0 pkts=460519/0
Thu Dec 09 19:44:29 2010 TLS Error: TLS key negotiation failed to occur within 60 seconds (check your network connectivity)
Thu Dec 09 19:44:29 2010 TLS Error: TLS handshake failed
Thu Dec 09 19:44:29 2010 TLS: move_session: dest=TM_LAME_DUCK src=TM_ACTIVE reinit_src=1
Thu Dec 09 19:45:29 2010 TLS Error: TLS key negotiation failed to occur within 60 seconds (check your network connectivity)
Thu Dec 09 19:45:29 2010 TLS Error: TLS handshake failed
Thu Dec 09 19:45:56 2010 TCP/UDP: Closing socket

This is the repeating sequence that occurs about every 2 hours while connected to my vpn through openvpn.
About every two hours a dialogue box opens and asks me to login.. which I do and then everything is fine for another couple of hours. My question is this.. during this duration of asking for my login information for my vpn, is my internet unsecured.. meaning that if I were sharing legal yet private information through a public system, would my encrypted connection through my vpn which hides my real ip information have a gap during this "failed handshake" "soft reset" period or does it maintain the same (anonymous) ip address information (provided by my vpn service) as it was just previous to this event taking place... or when this takes place .. that is when openvpn has this happen, does my internet connectivity/connection just get instantly disconnected until the credentials are entered? The reason I have for thinking that my internet communications may still be safe anyways is that I left my computer with a vpn legal file sharing task for about an hour and upon returning to my computer, the dreaded login box was displayed from openvpn... yet upon looking about at the activity of these tasks before entering my credentitals, it appeared I was still connected to my router, however no internet websites would load, and my legal bit torrent activities were all "downloading" yet there was no activity in the up and down areas and appeared to be trying but, it was as if communication to the internet was closed. Upon entering the credentials, everything would resume as normal with my masked ip information. If this is the case Im ok with that, but I pay for a vpn because I want ALL my internet activities to be encrypted ALL the time while its running.. using the openvpn rout is proported to be the most secure method of doing so.. however if it is just going to sit there for a couple hours and then expose my private information for lapses until "reset" with my vpn credentials, then this is something that is not worth paying my vpn for, and is false advertising in telling me that my "entire internet connection is encrypted and secure..." and leading me to believe that I am completely safe upon setting all this up. I dont want to have to tend to stupid loopholes and hope that it doesnt soft reset on me all the time. Again, if my private information is never exposed here.. then Im ok with this, although it is extremely annoying... but if i am exposed during these periods, then I am goig to get a refund and uninstall this program.

Please help me understand what this means and what is going on here!!

THanks in advance!

krzee
Forum Team

Re: Someone PLEASE HELP!!! OPENVPN SOFT RESETTING FAILED HAN

Post by krzee » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:47 pm

if would have helped to have more of the log, as well as the configs
i can only guess, but maybe you drop permissions and dont have persist-tun and persist-key