OpenVPN Issues

This forum is for admins who are looking to build or expand their OpenVPN setup.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
Uiop
OpenVpn Newbie

OpenVPN Issues

Post by Uiop » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:45 am

I posted this over at the Ubuntu forums, but perhaps that wasn't the proper location. Hopefully somebody here will be able to offer some insight.

I've been pulling my hair out over this all day now, and I don't appear to have gotten any closer to a solution. I am running Ubuntu 9.10 server and would like to install OpenVPN in bridged mode on it. All of my computers are plugged into a single, generic WiFi router. The IP address of the WiFi router is 192.168.18.1 and it gives out IP addresses (formatted like 192.168.18.x) to connected devices via Static DHCP.

I have managed to establish an OpenVPN connection between another computer on my network and the OpenVPN server (using the public IP address given to me by my ISP, with appropriate port forwarding set up). Unfortunately, I am unable access the internet at large while connected. I am able to connect to other computers within the network however.

[irrelevant configuration files clipped for brevity]

What am I doing wrong? I'm getting no error messages that I can see! Any help would be very much appreciated.

krzee
Forum Team

Re: OpenVPN Issues

Post by krzee » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:33 am

are you sure you need bridged mode? most often you do not... You should only use a bridge if you need a specific layer2 protocol.
Are you using --redirect-gateway and you have ip forwarding on the server, and NAT on the server (or its default gateway) for the src ip of the traffic you want to exit the vpn to the inet?