Need obfuscation on home OpenVPN server

This forum is for admins who are looking to build or expand their OpenVPN setup.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
darksky
OpenVpn Newbie

Need obfuscation on home OpenVPN server

Post by darksky » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:44 pm

I am running OpenVPN on a home server (linux) setup to listen on port 443/TCP in order to maximize compatibility with the external networks to which I connect with my many devices. With this setup, I have been reliability able to connect to my OpenVPN box from many public wifi networks until now on certain wifi networks. When I connect my iphone to a particular wifi network I am unable to connect to the VPN; I am simply unable to connect suggesting that the network admin supplying the remote wifi has some more sophisticated blocking strategies.

Upon googling, it seems that I need to use a utility like obfsproxy on both the server and client (iphone). This particular solution won't work as obfsproxy isn't offered for iphones. I am seeking suggestions that will work with Apple devices. The goal is to circumvent whatever VPN-countermeasures are in place. Again, the sever is Linux and the clients will be Apple devices. Thanks!

darksky
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Need obfuscation on home OpenVPN server

Post by darksky » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:22 pm

...came across this suggestion to use openvpn-over-https. Will try it.