Mixed bridged and routed VPNs

This forum is for admins who are looking to build or expand their OpenVPN setup.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
Divvie900
OpenVpn Newbie

Mixed bridged and routed VPNs

Post by Divvie900 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:16 pm

Hi All,

I have a 4 site VPN setup that is set up as bridged star. For the purposes of this, I'll refer to this as old-server. The reason for bridging was that non-IP traffic was crossing the VPN. Now, having lost the need to run non-IP traffic, I plan to merge all 4 sites into one AD domain but, in keeping with Microsoft's best practice docs, I need to split the network into separate segments with different IP ranges and use AD Sities and Services to bind all four into a single domain. At the same time this is happening, I'd like to move the hub of the network away from old server and change one of the current clients to be the central server, referred to a new-server.

As these are on separate sites, I am wondering if I can save a lot of pressure for running around by configuring the client at the office where I'd like the new server to be so it has the current client OpenVPN process running bridged with a tap interface but also acts as server running another OpenVPN process in tun mode to which I can migrate the remaining offices. Once I've finished moving all 4, I can then remove the server process from old-server and hook that up to the new server in client mode.

Is this sounding like a hellish job or would it just be easier to do the whole lot in one long job. I'm pretty sure that as I plan the routing properly it should work.

Cheers,

Julian