Newbie Question: How to read log files?

This forum is for admins who are looking to build or expand their OpenVPN setup.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
Familiar
OpenVpn Newbie

Newbie Question: How to read log files?

Post by Familiar » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:45 pm

Hello!

I'm a Windows admin with limited Linux experience who has stood up an OpenVPN VM appliance via vSphere. After some reading I was able to figure out how to configure everything; VPN is active, my users are connecting, etc. However, what I am having trouble with is how I'm supposed to view the log files. I know where they exist: etc/var/log but I can't figure out how to read them. I've searched online but I can't find anything explicit, just navigation help. I've also searched the forums but the words "how to read log files" are apparently too common to be searched for. So, my question is this:

How do I view the log files created by OpenVPN?

Thanks!

Familiar
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Newbie Question: How to read log files?

Post by Familiar » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:00 pm

Aaaaaaaaaaand I just figured it out. "open <log file name>" does it. I could have sworn that I tried that but here we are! Since I have your attention, does anyone know of a Windows based method of exporting logs? Or am I going to have to bite the bullet and stand up an Ubuntu instance to mess with this?