How to connect to VPN network from Internet?

This forum is for admins who are looking to build or expand their OpenVPN setup.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
Patothief
OpenVpn Newbie

How to connect to VPN network from Internet?

Post by Patothief » Thu May 04, 2017 9:58 am

Hi,

I'm doing a small hobby project for which I need external Internet user to connect to my device which is inside home VPN.

First of all, sorry for my ignorance, I am not a network administrator in any stretch of imagination, this is not my domain. For that reason, it is very hard for me to simply "look at the man page" or "look at the forum example" because I do not know what to look for. For the same reason, anything I write (or draw) might be wrongly worded or even fundamentally wrong. Apologies for that in advance.

So this is my network topology:

My use-case is that I want random user (on the left) to be able to access HTTP server running on the mobile phone (right). This user will not be part of the VPN.

Mobile phone with web server is connected to the Internet over 3G. It has OpenVPN Connect installed and is successfully joining the VPN network hosted on the home server (middle). For that I had to set up port forwarding on home router (ISP provided) so that phone can reach VPN server (port 1194 -> 192.168.1.10:1194). I can successfully access http server from home server by using 10.8.0.2:8080.

The problem (and a question) arises when user on the left needs to access my http server on the right. I can not access it by its telecom assigned IP because it is private IP behind the telecom router. On the other hand, if I would like to access it with its VPN IP then my issue is how to do port forwarding on home router because as I understand it, my home router is not aware of the VPN and I can't just set up forwarding to VPN IP inside my VPN network (e.g. Port 8080 -> 10.8.0.2:8080). Even if that would work, my home router allows me to have only one LAN subnet (192.168.1.x). I tried to configure my VPN to run on the same subnet but it still didn't work and even my local network started to break (as I understand it is caused by conflicting subnets).

So what I figured is that OpenVPN itself provides some configuration means for traffic forwarding (iptables and route) but this is where I get completely mindblown as those command require lots of attributes which I do not know how to interpret. I believe I would need to set up port forwarding on home router to route traffic to home server local IP (not VPN) 192.168.1.10 and from there on VPN server would somehow take over and forward the traffic to VPN client 10.8.0.2. It would also need to manage traffic translation when traffic is coming from VPN client (10.8.0.2) to home VPN server (10.8.0.1) so that traffic can successfully reach originating smartphone (user on the left).

I would really appreciate your help!
Is there any example or tutorial specific for my usecase?
Is my usecase even managable?

Do I need to attach my current config? I am not experiencing any specific issues with my config, just asking how to proceed.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: How to connect to VPN network from Internet?

Post by TinCanTech » Thu May 04, 2017 10:35 am

Patothief wrote:my home router allows me to have only one LAN subnet (192.168.1.x).
You may need a better router.

What you want is not difficult but it also has very little to do with openvpn itself.

You need:
  • A public presence for the external user to connect to. eg. DNS name
  • A port forwarded on your router .. to the target VPN host HTTP server.
  • Necessary routing between the router .. and the VPN host HTTP server.
  • A suitable* openvpn setup. (* See below)
Patothief wrote:I am not a network administrator in any stretch of imagination
Time to step-up and get googling :mrgreen:
Patothief wrote:Do I need to attach my current config? I am not experiencing any specific issues with my config, just asking how to proceed
Posting your current server config* would give us some idea of how far you have come and where to look next ..

Patothief
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Patothief » Thu May 04, 2017 12:31 pm

Thanks a lot for response!
TinCanTech wrote:You may need a better router.
Does that mean that I will not be able to achieve my setup with current router?
Replacing it with another router might be a problem because this is a leased pre-configured router for fiber access and I wouldn't want to invest into another one plus even if I would I wouldn't know how to configure it for Internet access. I'm not sure that my ISP would share the config with me.
TinCanTech wrote:[*]A public presence for the external user to connect to. eg. DNS name
Done that with NoIp free service. I just didn't want to complicate my presentation here with that.
TinCanTech wrote:[*]A port forwarded on your router .. to the target VPN host HTTP server.
That would be: Port 8080 -> 10.8.0.2:8080 in my example?
TinCanTech wrote:[*]Necessary routing between the router .. and the VPN host HTTP server.
What would this mean for my setup?
TinCanTech wrote:[*]A suitable* openvpn setup. (* See below)[/list]
Ok, will include it.
TinCanTech wrote:Time to step-up and get googling :mrgreen:
Definitely! But I just can't stretch myself any more since my project includes web programming, android programming, electronics and mechanical engineering (basically it is a remote controlled robot).
TinCanTech wrote:Posting your current server config* would give us some idea of how far you have come and where to look next ..
Here it is:
Server Config
port 1194

proto udp

dev tun

ca ca.crt
cert server.crt
key server.key

dh dh1024.pem

server 10.8.0.0 255.255.255.0

keepalive 10 120

persist-key
persist-tun

status openvpn-status.log

verb 4

explicit-exit-notify 1
Client Config
client

dev tun

proto udp

remote x.x.x.x xxxx

resolv-retry infinite

nobind

persist-key
persist-tun

ca ca.crt
cert samsung.crt
key samsung.key

verb 3

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Thu May 04, 2017 2:13 pm

Patothief wrote:Does that mean that I will not be able to achieve my setup with current router?
I don't know .. all I know is what you posted and that suggests your ISP provided router may not be suitable.

As for your current configs .. you have not read and learned enough yet, start here:
HOWTO: For OpenVPN Community Edition

Specifically : Expanding the scope ..

Please do not post the public IP of your server. (now removed)

Patothief
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Patothief » Fri May 05, 2017 9:08 am

To rephrase my question: is it possible to access client inside the VPN tunnel from client that is not inside the VPN network?

Client A, which is not inside VPN network sends packet to VPN server and VPN server encapsulates it into VPN tunnel and sends it to destination VPN client private IP. Then VPN client sends response to VPN server which extracts packet from tunnel and forwards it back to non-VPN client.

I do not want split-channel because I really want the communication between the VPN client and VPN server to flow through the VPN. I am not using VPN for security but rather just for connectivity. The reason is that my HTTP server is running on a smartphone which has private IP address and I wouldn't be able to see it without the VPN tunnel.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Fri May 05, 2017 11:48 am

Patothief wrote:To rephrase my question: is it possible to access client inside the VPN tunnel from client that is not inside the VPN network?
Yes it is .. that section of the how to is a guide to get you started.