Connected to my ASUS WRT Router, but can't see LAN devices

This forum is for admins who are looking to build or expand their OpenVPN setup.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
vista7
OpenVpn Newbie

Connected to my ASUS WRT Router, but can't see LAN devices

Post by vista7 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:03 am

Okay, I'm very inexperienced with networking. What I'm trying to do is the following: My goal is to access my LAN from outside of the LAN. Specifically, I would like to access folders I shared on my LAN from my Windows 10 machine that is on the LAN.

What I've done so far:
1. I enabled the OpenVPN Server that is part of my ASUS Router running the stock ASUSWRT.
2. I copied the configuration file that the ASUS WRT generated for clients to connect with.
3. I downloaded the client on my laptop and installed the config file I received from the ASUS Server
4. I am able to connect to the server, my OpenVPN connection icon shows I've been assigned an IP of 10.8.x.x.

I thought once I'm connected to my ASUS Router that is the OpenVPN server, I will be able to see all my LAN devices and access shared folders on my LAN, BUT I can't see any LAN components when connected from an outside location.

My LAN IP addresses are in the 10.0.0.x range, when I connect from outside, I'm assigned a 10.8.x.x IP. - is this the problem?
Or is it a firewall issue or I'm completely missing something here?

Any help or suggestion is greatly appreciated.

vista7
OpenVpn Newbie

Connecting two ASUS WRT Routers (as a bridge) with OpenVPN

Post by vista7 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:29 am

I have one ASUS Router running the stock ASUSWRT firmware at home and another one at my office. I have enabled the router at home as an OpenVPN server and I connected the one at my office as a client to it. Naively, I thought once the two are connected, I will be able to see both LANs and join them together, but this is not the case.
My at home LAN is configures as 10.0.0.x My office LAN is 192.168.x.x - is this the issue? If so, what should I change the office LAN IP to?

What steps should I take to be able to join the two LANs together ?

Thank you so much!

vista7
OpenVpn Newbie

Connected via OpenVPN to ASUS Router but can't see any LAN device/share

Post by vista7 » Tue May 02, 2017 5:39 pm

Good morning. I'm inexperienced with VPNs and networking so it is possible I've missed something that is very obvious but very important during my setup.

My goal is to access shared folders on my LAN from outside of my home network via OpenVPN.
What I've done so far is the following:
I have an ASUS RT-AC66U_B1 Router, with stock ASUSWRT Firmware running on it
I enabled the built in OpenVPN server in the router's admin page.
I exported a VPN config file and imported the config file to my laptop, which has the OpenVPN client installed.
The two devices, the VPN server Router and the VPN Client on my laptop connect successfully, both devices show that the connections is established and the laptop gets an IP of 10.8.0.x.

My home LAN I'm trying to access via the VPN has local IP subnet of 10.0.0.x

Even though I am connected to the Router via the VPN, I'm unable to see any LAN components. I don't see a single printer, nor a single computer, nor any shared folders I shared on the LAN.

Can anyone say what I'm missing from my setup ? What do I need to do to see LAN devices and shares?

I haven't changed any Firewall or port forwarding settings at all, neither on my router nor on my LAN devices. Could this cause the issue?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

vista7
OpenVpn Newbie

CAN'T See my LAN when conntected

Post by vista7 » Tue May 02, 2017 5:44 pm

Good morning. I'm inexperienced with VPNs and networking so it is possible I've missed something that is very obvious but very important during my setup.

My goal is to access shared folders on my LAN from outside of my home network via OpenVPN.
What I've done so far is the following:
I have an ASUS RT-AC66U_B1 Router, with stock ASUSWRT Firmware running on it
I enabled the built in OpenVPN server in the router's admin page.
I exported a VPN config file and imported the config file to my laptop, which has the OpenVPN client installed.
The two devices, the VPN server Router and the VPN Client on my laptop connect successfully, both devices show that the connections is established and the laptop gets an IP of 10.8.0.x.

My home LAN I'm trying to access via the VPN has local IP subnet of 10.0.0.x

Even though I am connected to the Router via the VPN, I'm unable to see any LAN components. I don't see a single printer, nor a single computer, nor any shared folders I shared on the LAN.

Can anyone say what I'm missing from my setup ? What do I need to do to see LAN devices and shares?

I haven't changed any Firewall or port forwarding settings at all, neither on my router nor on my LAN devices. Could this cause the issue?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Connected to my ASUS WRT Router, but can't see LAN devices

Post by TinCanTech » Tue May 02, 2017 7:07 pm

The reason you get zero replies to your question is because
you have not posted any information regarding openvpn.

Please see:
HOWTO: Request Help !