Getting Bridge OpenVPN working on lubuntu linux

This forum is for admins who are looking to build or expand their OpenVPN setup.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
nginmu
OpenVpn Newbie

Getting Bridge OpenVPN working on lubuntu linux

Post by nginmu » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:48 pm

I'm sorry if this is the inappropriate forum to post in for this question; I'm a little lost.

I have a router which uses a mobile phone SIM card to obtain a 4G Internet connection in the UK from carrier 'EE'. EE uses CGNAT and because of this my router reports a 10.x.x.x IPv4 address as my Internet IP address. When I check sites like IP chicken, whatsmyip dot com etc, I get to see the 'real' IP I'm going out onto the Internet with on the other side of my carrier, which is currently 213.205.x.x

I have just the one laptop running lubuntu linux, connected via wired RJ45 ethernet to the router. The router assigned the laptop 192.168.1.4 initially via DHCP, and then I locked that IP address to the laptop in the router's settings using the laptop's MAC address.

What I'm ultimately trying to do is establish a remote virtual LAN connection, using OpenVPN running on the laptop, so that I can access the local network of this router / laptop (and anything else connected to the router's 4 wired LAN ports and 32 wireless wifi connections), from anywhere on the Internet.

This is ultimately so, I can attach IP cameras to the router, and dial into their video feeds from a remote location using the VPN as a tunnel through the carrier's CGNAT. My belief is that this is possible, based on experiments done by others in forums elsewhere.

My problem is that try as I might, I haven't been able to figure out how to configure a bridge. I've installed bridge-utils no problem but when I setup the config file as below, which is my best guess so far, I lose all connectivity altogether.

Can anyone see where I'm going wrong?

Here's my /etc/network/interfaces:

Code: Select all

# my router reports 10.xxx.xxx.xxx as my WAN IP
# ipchicken says I'm 213.205.xxx.xxx as far as the Internet is concerned.
# router itself is 192.168.1.1
# I have one single laptop on LAN, 192.168.1.4
# laptop is locked to 192.168.1.4 via MAC address

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
auto br0
iface br0 inet static
address 192.168.1.4
network 192.168.1.0
netmask 255.255.255.0
broadcast 192.168.1.255
gateway 192.168.1.1
bridge_ports eth0
bridge_fd 9
bridge_hello 2
bridge_maxage 12
bridge_stp off
iface eth0 inet manual
up ifconfig $IFACE 0.0.0.0 up
up ip link set $IFACE promisc on
down ip link set $IFACE promisc off
down ifconfig $IFACE down

Code: Select all

sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart  <-------- ### succeeded, but I lost all connectivity
                                                                    ### probably used wrong settings above!