OpenVPN and local users

This forum is for admins who are looking to build or expand their OpenVPN setup.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
wagnbeu0
OpenVpn Newbie

OpenVPN and local users

Post by wagnbeu0 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:57 am

Hi, I successfully installed OpenVPN on Windows Server 2008. I want a bridged network, and users must also authenticate using certificates and username/password.

Here is my manual:
http://www.ben-wagner.de/pages/manual106/computer-edv/openvpn-server-unter-windows-server-installieren.php

To allow users to login I use in my current configuration a textfile which contains all the users and their passwords.
From a security perspective it would be much more safer if I can use a local existing windows group so all I have to do is adding or removing local windows users to that specific group.

So what do I have to change in my server configuration that connecting clients will ask for username and password and check it against the local windows server instead of the local textfile?

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: OpenVPN and local users

Post by TinCanTech » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:48 pm