Requirements for a OpenVPN virtual setup, hanging off ESXi server

This forum is for admins who are looking to build or expand their OpenVPN setup.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
thecoffeeguy
OpenVpn Newbie

Requirements for a OpenVPN virtual setup, hanging off ESXi server

Post by thecoffeeguy » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:36 pm

Hey everyone.
Just had a question about what type of requirements an OpenVPN server would require for my needs.

Basically this:

(1) user will be using the VPN server as i travel. I need to reach back into my home network.

I have two ESXi servers at home and was thinking of building a VM off one of them to use as my 'dedicated' server.

What type of requirements am I looking at to have a good, reliable connection? Good connectivity will be key, so i am looking at all my options.

Any other things i should consider as i work to build this out?

I appreciate the feedback everyone.

Cheers,

TCG

RandomThoughts
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Requirements for a OpenVPN virtual setup, hanging off ESXi server

Post by RandomThoughts » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:07 pm

What OS / Linux distro would you put on the OpenVPN VM? I'm running OpenVPN as a server on a Fedora 25 vm with just 512MB behind ESXi, I use it to access other vm's on the ESXi host and it works like a charm. Client though is my router at home, so can't comment on the road warrior aspect.

I suspect your biggest problem (though I may be way off the mark), would be ports being blocked from whatever internet connection you're trying to access the VPN from.

thecoffeeguy
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Requirements for a OpenVPN virtual setup, hanging off ESXi server

Post by thecoffeeguy » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:12 pm

RandomThoughts wrote:What OS / Linux distro would you put on the OpenVPN VM? I'm running OpenVPN as a server on a Fedora 25 vm with just 512MB behind ESXi, I use it to access other vm's on the ESXi host and it works like a charm. Client though is my router at home, so can't comment on the road warrior aspect.

I suspect your biggest problem (though I may be way off the mark), would be ports being blocked from whatever internet connection you're trying to access the VPN from.
Hey. Thanks for the feedback.
Would be probably CentOS as underlying OS, maybe Debian or i could pull down the image from OpenVPN.

Ya, for exterior connections, i would do some dynamicDNS with port forwarding to my OpenVPN server to handle the traffic.
Sounds like for one user, should be pretty light on resources.

thanks!