OpenVPN 2.4 does not work with Windows 7

This forum is for admins who are looking to build or expand their OpenVPN setup.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
ionium
OpenVpn Newbie

OpenVPN 2.4 does not work with Windows 7

Post by ionium » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:15 am

I had an older 2.3.x install running as a server on my home PC, and decided to upgrade it. Immediately after upgrading, no client could contact it. They all were stick on "WAIT,,," (Android, and 2 Windows 10 machines). There was no server.log at all, firewall was the same (off), and port forwarding was the same (static IP).

Also keep in mind it worked 5 seconds before upgrading.

Anyways I un-installed 2.4, and installed 2.3.14 (changed nothing, everything is identical including the configs) and everything began working again.

So I don't know what the problem is with 2.4, but it does not work with Win7 which is too bad.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: OpenVPN 2.4 does not work with Windows 7

Post by TinCanTech » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:52 am

Openvpn do not release a brand new version which does not work with Windows 7

I use windows 7 with 2.4 and it works fine .. you must have done something wrong.

Please see:
HOWTO: Request Help !

ionium
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by ionium » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:39 pm

Thanks for your reply, but I did nothing wrong. There is something wrong with it, as mentioned it is (still) working perfectly with 2.3.14, but the moment I upgrade it doesn't work. Un-installing and fresh installing makes no difference, in either direction (2.4 still fails, 2.3.14 still works).

So I mean, sure you can give me anecdotal evidence (yours) that it works, but it does nothing for me, and I stand by my statement. I could debug it, but quite frankly I don't care enough to do so. I'll just use this version forever.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:09 am

I am using openvpn 2.4 on windows 7 to post this reply 8-)